What's in a Name?

We all went to school with someone who had a nickname. I remember a boy named "Doozy". I suppose that came from his mother telling him he was such a "doozy".

In our family, my DH (darling husband) and I refer to our grandsons as "Bud or Buddy" and our grand-daughters as "Little Girl". Technically, they're not really nicknames because none of the other family members refer to them this way. To us, they'e just names of endearment.

Indians sure have some "doozy" names, too.

Here are some of them: Bug-Bug (M) Bugger (M) Be-Bop (M) Jooks (F) Duner (M) Potsy (F) Nooj (M) Daygie (M) Bealy (M) Cold Beans (M) Fa (M) Bubba (F) Pummy (M) Bear (M) Tootsa (F) Duckie (F) Etsy (F) Weenie (F) Hanny (F) Bayda (F) Ish (F)

 See what I mean? I could go on and on. Of course, some of these are people who've passed on. Since I haven't lived at home for some time and I'm not familiar with the younger generation, there's no telling what kind of names are circulating, now.

I'm not sure why nicknames are so prevalent within native communities.  It would be an interesting study, I'm sure.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.