Tonawanda Indian Community Building



 If any one place impacted my adolescent years, it was the community building.  One of FDR's projects to provide men jobs during the Depression Era, it continues to serve our people in many capacities.  One of which is a medical and dental clinic for the well-being of community members.

I love the fact that in spite of all the upgrades and renovations the original structure has undergone, one area has been left untouched: the drinking fountain, along with the flooring and paneling of the original front entrance.

I wonder how many little children learned to boost themselves up via the small faucet on the side, independent of being lifted by someone else.












Countless hours were spent playing basketball.  Each of the reservations had their own teams: boys and girls, men and women's.  For us, basketball was not confined to a season.

Of course, the court has been upgraded to include the wampum design on the rail.












Here, copies of paintings done by Ernie Smith decorate the main foyer area of the building.  My husband reminded me of the time when Ernie Smith asked if he could paint a picture of me.  At the time, I had no idea how well-known he was for his paintings.

Dumb me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a web site owner I think the material here is really magnificent. I appreciate it for your time. You must maintain it and keep it up forever! Excellent work.