Ono:sga'- A Seneca Side Dish

A favored side dish is milkweed that tastes much like Collard enjoyed by southerners. We Senecas know at as ono:sga' (long o sound, : = abrupt stop, short a as in avenue).

The small, tender leaves near the top are chosen.  Leaves that are too big are tough.  It's also important to pick the right gender.  In fact, I can't remember which one it is.  Is it the female, or the male?  All I remember is if you pick the wrong one, you can get very ill.  I don't know that from experience, but my mother always warned me of it.



Ono:sga' is prepared and eaten much the same as any other leafy green: wash, boil, drain, and serve.  Season to suit your taste.


I haven't heard of anyone eating this since I was quite young.  I suppose with the convenience of eating store greens, it's not worth the effort.

No comments: