Valley of the Dolls

Wurzeltod / Free Photos
Back in the 60s, there was this old woman who had an amazing collection of dolls. On any given day (other than the winter or inclement weather), they would be lined up on the knoll between the road and her house.

Whether they were pulling a wagon, riding a bike, or just strolling, their friendly waves demanded our attention.  None ever wore a same outfit twice in a row. Before the sun went down, they were back inside: safe and sound.

Once inside, she put each of them in their respective places. Rumor had it (her grand-daughter even told me), the dolls got up and played, once the woman went to bed.  (Wonder if that's where Chuckie got his start?)

In fact, her dolls got so much attention, someone came out to interview her for a feature article.  As I recall, I think it was for The Reader's Digest, or something.  Anyhow, because the movie "The Valley of the Dolls" had just come out, it became commonly known as that.

The woman and her dolls are long gone, but "The Valley of the Dolls" remains a reservation classic.

3 comments:

Lori said...

When gram, Lisa and I would walk to Aunt C. house...it was hard not to run up and touch or play with the dolls. Even as a small child I knew that those dolls were for very special as if in a museum ~ and not for play. I miss seeing those dolls. And yes, it was Reader's Digest...gram had a copy somewhere, but I'm sure it's long gone..just like the dolls!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Parker said...

I remember going there with my gram for visits. There's even a picture of me posing in amongst the dolls. I wish I could find it! By the way, Lori, I got to play with the dolls and push them around the driveway in their buggy!